Greenhouse project crew member
Position: Greenhouse Project Crew Member
Organization: The Greenhouse Project
The Greenhouse Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to grow fresh produce for the needy in our community and to teach young people about gardening and horticulture. We manage a greenhouse, hoop houses and outdoor raised beds at a site located behind Carson High School, working with students in agriculture classes, special needs students, and community groups of various ages.
Through service duties, members will contribute to and support the growth and production of produce to be donated to local food banks. Additionally, their service working alongside students and volunteers will support the spread of information of sustainable agriculture and nutrition education.
Service Location: Carson City, NV
Timeline for Service: January 2019 - August 2019
● Learn and apply innovative high desert farming techniques including infrastructure development,
installation & maintenance as related to member service;
● Maintain diverse crops through pruning, harvesting, and cultivation;
● Prepare site for plantings and crop production;
● Assist and train volunteers to aid in production;
● Develop strategies to maximize time efficiency and production.
● Serve as a host for visitors and student groups, leading tours and answering questions;
● Engage youth field trips and student groups in hands on activities.
● Dedication and responsibility to the position and the AmeriCorps service agreement;
● Passion for Environmental Education, Sustainable Agriculture & Healthy Lifestyles;
● Ability to work in teams and work well with the public;
● Ability to follow safety procedures and protocols;
● Ability to lift heavy objects (50 pounds);
● Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
● Willingness to serve outdoors in inclement weather as needed;
● Ability to arrive to work on time (early in the morning);
● Possess a valid Driver’s License.
AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $7,278, a $3,047 education award upon successful completion of service and professional development opportunities throughout their term of service. If the member qualifies, they will also receive student loan forbearance and interest payments.
Send a cover letter and resume to Cory King at email@example.com. Email/call Cory at 775-335-9452 for more information.