Service Learning Coordinator
Ready to grow and make a difference? Come serve with KTMB as the Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps! KTMB practices the sustainability we preach. We rally thousands of volunteers to remove litter and invasive weeds from our public spaces, empower our community to become environmental stewards through education, and much more! Our close-knit staff supports AmeriCorps in both fulfilling our shared mission and pursuing their own passion projects.
The Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps is an essential member of KTMB’s team. This person will assist the Beautification and Cleanups Manager in maintaining the high quality of KTMB’s volunteer programs including recruiting, training, managing, and retaining volunteers. The Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps will work closely with KTMB’s community and
municipal partners to assist with the coordination of large scale litter pickup events, as well as small scale Neighborhood Cleanups. This person will also assist in the maintenance of KTMB’s project and data tracking software and will continue the precedent of high quality maintenance of KTMB’s volunteer registration database. Lastly, the Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps will assist the Sustainability Education Manager in implementing KTMB’s sustainability education program which is designed to raise awareness about common environmental threats that lower the quality of life, health and economy in the Truckee Meadows. This will be done primarily through formal and informal presentations to community groups, businesses, and individuals, hands-on maintenance of KTMB’s on-line Recycling Guide, and assisting in KTMB’s Green Business Program.
KTMB is committed to fostering a safe and supportive work environment for AmeriCorps members to gain relevant experience, learn desired skills, and pursue their passion projects.
● Research sustainable solutions and assist in the enhancement and implementation of community educational presentations, service learning events, community workshops and seminars, and other educational opportunities;
● Maintain and update KTMB’s Recycling Guide database of community recycling resources primarily through check-in calls to the participating businesses;
● Assist in the certification and recognition of green businesses in Reno and Sparks; ● Implement volunteer training protocols and assist with volunteer management for all three of KTMB’s programs;
● Assist in coordinating KTMB’s annual programs including The Great Community Cleanup, The Truckee River Cleanup and Christmas Tree Recycling;
● Conduct project site orientations and lead volunteers for KTMB’s Adopt-A-Spot and neighborhood cleanup programs;
● Prepare and maintain inventory of supplies and appropriate tools for volunteer cleanups; ● Facilitate volunteer retention and appreciation events throughout the year through donation solicitation;
● Recruit and collaborate with community volunteers;
● Update and maintain KTMB’s project management and volunteer database;
● Passionate commitment to KTMB’s mission and vision;
● Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
● Exceptional writing skills;
● Strong communication and public speaking skills;
● Comprehensive knowledge of environmental science and/or environmental justice; ● Strong organizational skills;
● Flexible schedule for potential weekend work;
● Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, or a related field; ● Preferred: reading, writing and speaking competency in Spanish language; ● Required: high degree of initiative, spirit of service, and a sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance and are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon completion of their terms. For the 2023-2024 AmeriCorps term, the living allowance is $26,000 and the education award is $6,895. Other benefits include mileage reimbursement, flex time, and dog-friendly office.
AmeriCorps members are eligible for federal student loan deferment, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance during their service. AmeriCorps Members are eligible to adjust income-driven repayment plans for federal student loans to $0 during service, and service counts toward Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).